Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Another Gray Day

I had to go to our Collection center today for Disaster Recovery testing today with some of our business units. Each time I go out there it only takes a couple of minutes of eavesdropping on some of the calls to remind me that I'm glad that I neither work there, nor have them calling me at home.

I guess it takes a big pair to work in Collections. You have to deal with people who are passed due on their accounts for whatever reason. For the most part they have their valid reasons. These are people who get called from the "30 Day Bucket." But I talked to a girl out there today who said that she used to be in the Recovery part of it. These are people who are calling customers who are 90-120 days passed due on their accounts. These are the people who also call in the big bald guys that you see on TLC to come and repo your cars, computers, TVs, etc. She said that those people that she called about those accounts were some of the worst to have to talk to. She said that one lady that she called was very delinquent on her mortgage payment. The lady supposedly told her that she wasn't going to make the payments any more because the bank didn't tell her "thank you" when she mailed in more than what the minimum monthly payment was. Does that sound legit? Apparently the customer thought so.

But like I said, it only takes a minute of listening to these bulldogs on the phone trying to collect the late Benjamins to remind me that I don't have it so bad.

It wasn't very pretty out today either. I guess we are getting some much needed rain, but it was just cold and wet with a lot of wind. I had to park quite a ways away from the Collection center today because the lot was full. As I got into the parking lot, I saw this SUV driving around slowly that had 2 people in the front seat. The driver honked at me and waved as if he knew me. I thought that the face looked familiar but it was also hard to see with all the raindrops on my glasses. My 2nd guess was that he thought he knew me, but had mistaken me for someone else, but by the time he waved it was too late. I hate it when I do that.

They say that spring is just around the corner and I hope that it is. Driving on the freeway can be scary this time of year. Combinations of slush and rain and feeling your car hydroplaning beneath you. I'm not scared of my driving, it is always being afraid of what the guy in front or behind you is going to do. I would like to give a statistic now about how many accidents could be avoided if the other guy would have just been a little more careful...but fault is always in the eyes of the defendant.

I have been giving a lot more serious thought to writing a book/story that I have wanted to for some time now. I think that in order for it to make any sense in my mind I am either going to have to have it be based on experiences that have been slightly altered or have it be fiction all together. I don't really consider myself to be a novelist and I wouldn't even know where to begin in trying to find someone to publish it...much less get someone to sell it. I think I'll leave out fight scenes with cross dressers and chineese stars.

Maybe I could write a script and send it to Kevin Smith [Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back] and he could put it to film and pay me a percentage of what the movie takes in. Maybe I'll just keep blogging and see what happens.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cooper said...

This sounds great! If Kevin Smith plans to do your script you can recommend to him to cast me in the "Big Stupid Thug #3" role.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home