Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Oui!

Well...it's been one of those surreal days. I don't remember if I blogged or not about my doctor's decision to up my dosage of meds. Oh wait, I guess that's what the "Up Yours" post was all about. I started the increase last night and I should not have taken it right before bed.

I knew that one of the side effects of Lexapro was either fatigue or insomnia. I got the insomnia. So the long and the short of it is that I got up yesterday morning @ 7am, and I didn't go to bed until this morning until about 3:30 and then didn't actually fall asleep until about 4am. I guess if I was still in college it wouldn't be so bad, but I've got a job; which I stayed home from so that I wouldn't accidentally pass out on the drive home from.

So what did I do with my spare time in the wee hours? I rebuilt my personal laptop. That's right- I broke the Windows and christened it with Linspire by Linux.

Initially I was getting really frustrated because I just couldn't get the install to go past the beginning phase. I thought after a while that it was a problem with the ACPI setting on the BIOS, then I thought that it might be the actual DVD drive, so I changed the settings and even swapped out drives and the problem still persisted. Then after a little while I decided to actually read the error logs that were being thrown up during the diagnostic sessions and it turns out that it was having trouble reading the source files. So after sitting back and wishing that I was asleep, I decided that I would try re-burning the CD again from the original ISO that I had. I tried it one last time and BINGO!!!

So now I'm all up and running again. My browser is working, email is configured, I got my BitTorrent client finally figured out. I did find though that someone of my ignorance is better off going with all of the pre-packaged software installs that you can get through the CNR Warehouse that Linspire offers. Reason being is that when I was having problems with my LTorrent software I figured that the best option would be to just choose a different software package. The problem was that I couldn't install the software because Linspire doesn't come with any compilers built in. You can install one, but that is out of my league because it involves really knowing a lot more about coding that I have no clue about.

I will say that that is one advantage that Windows certainly has over Linux from a regular user's perspective- the simplicity of point and click software installation. The market for the average user is certianly in the court of Microsoft, but there is also so much more risk.

What I appreciate about browsing with Linux's Internet Suite browser is that I don't get ANY pop-ups, and adware and spyware cannot become installed on my machine because it isn't written for Linux. The same is also mostly true for viruses. Most of them are written for the Windows boxes of the world. If I even get an attachment in my email that tries to run an .exe file my system will treat it as foreign and not have anything to do with it.

I'm not trying to be a salesman here because to each is truly his own...but I have found the path that I would rather take.

I hope I sleep better tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home