Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My New System

I don't know about anyone else reading this blog [which isn't that many people] but I am tired of Microsoft. I am tired of how they get their fingers into just about everything that there is. They charge a lot of money for their products, support, and time. So I have decided to stick it to the man.

Company policy dictates that I use Microsoft Windows XP SP2 for my main operating system on my production machine, but I am currently typing this on one of my test machines. I didn't want to have Microsoft products on it so I installed the current version of a Linux variant OS called Yoper. The browser is Mozilla and overall, the speed performance far outweighs Microsoft.

I have to say that I am a complete newbie at Linux though. I have a lot to learn. Linux is based on Unix and I don't really know much about that either.

I need to learn how the directory structure works, how to compile things, how to install things. There is so much to learn. It is like stepping into a whole new world...but I'm ready for it. I am ready to take the plunge and stick it to Bill Gates as much as I can.

For more information on Yoper click here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cooper said...

yoper looks cool and it rhymes with 'doper'. Finally, I set up my XP desktop and sacrificed a few chickens when I pressed the power button. It hummed and I saw the Win booting screen then blank. Fizzled message saying windows is shutting down and reboots to a prompt with the dreaded choices of starting up in safe mode. I can load it in safe mode successfully and can pull important files off of there like mp3s ha! But I'll have my hands full diagnosing the problem. UGH!

Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

You're teasing me...stop teasing me with non-MS stuff.

I'm already a Mozilla convert and know, just know, that Vista will simply be a Windows version of Linux/Unix and IE7 is a rip-off of Mozilla. Funny...since it was Gates' decision to put Netscape out of business with IE then Netscape went out and made Netscape 6 be an IE5 wannabe and messed it up royally. Thank God for those 4 or 5 men who left Netscape and made Mozilla for us! Now Gates' wants IE7 to emulate the very browser he swore to put out of business.

Funny how all that works?

Eric

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

I came accross this site (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/index.html) and noticed this guy doesn't like firefox but recommends an IE based browser called Avant. Have you heard anything about this?

Saturday, February 25, 2006 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

Eric,
Unfortunately Vista is not a Windows verson of Linux/Unix. I have a beta version of Vista and it is pretty much the same old crap...just different looking icons and they added a Z-bar with Y-Shadow to the bottom of the screen that allow a different version of the system tray for quick launch icons.
Speedwise, it is about the same as XP, but I still find that Linux really blows them all away.
If you want the best of both worlds, that is a non-Windows OS but functions like Windows use Lindows. Yeah, funny name but real OS.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

Correction- It is no longer called Lindows, it is now called Linspire. Retail cost is $49.99 for download from www.linspire.com or $59.99 to order the actual physical media.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Thanks guys...don't know if I'll do it now but my system is about 5 years old and I know, I just know, the HDD will crash here in the next year! I'll probably get an external HDD to store stuff.

My question is...will Linspire run all of my "Windows Based" programs? ie: Word, Excel, PP, etc.?

Eric

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home