Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Corporate Mouse Trap

I have been sitting here at work today thinking about what exactly it is that I "do" here. The conclusion that I have come to is- I'm not exactly sure.

I have recently gotten a new manager. He is a good guy. I have worked with him for about 4 years or so and I like him. He is fun to be around, but he also knows what he is doing professionally. I've got to say though that when it comes time to have our first face to face meeting though that I am afraid that I might come off as someone who needs to be shown the door.

Here's the scoop- Technically my job title is PC LAN Analyst 2, but I function as part of the Virus Support/Remediation Team, but I spend a lot of my time doing stuff that involves Disaster Recovery & Preparedness.

In a given week I will spend time doing spreadsheets, documentation, giving out computer support, applying security patches to PCs and whatever else comes up. The new name of my direct team is Desktop Architecture & Compliance. They are responsible for setting all of the new hardware and software standards for the company. They get requests for various things and it is their job to review the requests and then either approve or deny them. I am on that team but I don't really do that.

I have to say that I don't hate my job, but I am finding that I just don't like being in limbo. I don't function as the rest of my teammates. I often wonder why I even still work here. I have no idea what else I would do though if I were to work doing something else.

I was out online today looking at job postings both inside and outside of my company. It feels almost like I am hopeless when it comes to finding a new job unless I go back to college and finish my degree. I don't have any degrees or certifications, but I do have 8 years of experience. I don't currently receive much of any on the job training that is pertinent to what I do either. Some days I have to admit that I was just on disability and was able to stay at home all of the time and let Uncle Sam pay all of my bills, but then I think about how lazy that would be for me to do; there are people out there who need that kind of assistance a lot more than I do.

So in the meantime I'm just a geek who sits here and writes about all this crap in his blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cooper said...

Well, I hope it doesn't come to losing a job. I know exactly how you feel. I've been sitting around since Jan. 20th with a false hope that an excellent opportunity will drop in my lap. There's a lot of jobs out there but all of them I'm unqualified for regardless that I hold a college degree.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home