Sunday, December 18, 2005

Weapons of mass destruction

I don't know why I was thinking about this this morning. Perhaps it is because of all of the Christian "Pro-Bush/War" stuff that I hear on the radio. Don't get me wrong, I am not against Bush or against the Republicans per se, but at this point in time it seems to me that whatever President Bush or the Bush administration does is being praised by the conservative "moral majority."

The whole war in Iraq supposedly began as an attempt to go get Osama Bin Laden in retaliation and "justice" for the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon. Then since we supposedly couldn't find Bin Laden, the focus was turned toward finding weapons of mass destruction. We didn't find any of those either. Then the focus shifted once we found Saddam Hussein to helping the Iraqi's secure freedom...Or at least try and get them a "civilized" [Americanized] form of Democracy like we have, and also our little-sister-in-the-pocket Israel.

Anyways, it just seems like no matter how intellectually dishonest conservative politics have become, the Moral Majority just continues to follow suit. It really makes conservatives look bad since they have control, seemingly, in the House and Senate. Now I am not saying that I am opposed to finding Bin Laden, Hussein, finding weapons of mass destruction, or helping Iraq come out from under its tyrannical dictatorial regime. It is neither here nor there as to what my feelings on each of these things is, but this is my problem-

In the midst of all this fighting, and also in reference back to the Vietnam War which many are now likening this "occupation" in Iraq to; why are so many people still backing what is going on in the name of "helping keep America free?" What does this have to do with us? Since when has an attack or two from foreign terrorists become a major threat to national security in this country? We have had more attacks by our own natives than we have a couple of Muslims from across the globe. And when it comes to "fighting for our freedom" I just don't buy it. It seems to me like that pill would be easier to swallow if the war was actually going on here on our soil where we actually were fighting for our freedom.

America has been the world police for quite some time. Earlier this week I even heard a soundbyte of President Bush admitting that some of his actions were, in retrospect, based on either false or incomplete information, but he still doesn't feel bad about any of it and sees it all as necessary. He also said that the reason why he didn't let certain things go when he made executive decisions was because he didn't feel that certain foreign affairs were in the best interest of America. That seems to me like a pretty selfish reason to do anything.

Well, what does all of this have to do with where I am going? Why did I mention the moral majority? Because in my eyes they are the biggest weapon of mass destruction that the world has ever seen. The sad reality though is that they are more stealthy than anyone wants to believe. They make policies and try to push laws that they believe are based on upholding Judeo-Christian ethics, but from everything that I have observed, much of it lacks the actual biblical backing for the mandates that they demand.

Just like much of the US policy quietly dictates that the ultimate goal is to convert the rest of the world to democracy....This moral majority seems bent only on ruling our lives with a theocratic dictatorship....under their control.

Does it hurt politics? No, but it does hurt their "witness" for God

I hope that at some point we can see all of the events that happen in the world at any given moments so that we can see in them a reflection of what is going in inside of us that we don't want to see so that we can repent from them.

So to Ted Haggard, Jerry Fallwel, Pat Robertson, President Bush...etc. If we're going to try and play by the rules, let's go back and examine with care the original rule book.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fred W said...

O reluctant one...

I am perhaps not as reluctant a follower of Christ, but I am a kindred soul who sometimes feels he has little more than "minimum liability" faith. I'm happy to have stumbled across your blog.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ah...welcome to the blogosphere my friend...a place where even goofballs like us can have fun...

If you want to get rid of those annoying comments like the one from "Jason", turn on the verification feature. Then they won't automatically spam you for penis enlargment ads!

Eric (from The Door Closet)

P.S. I've linked you at my blog...don't know if it will give you some traffic but I've linked the others as well.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

actually,
I am a friend of the reluctant disciple. I went to highschool with him, and I am sure that he would also consider me a friend. I was also the best man in his wedding. My previous post was to welcome one of my closest friends to the neighborhood. It was also very funny if you choose to read it. So, no need to turn off this verification feature. lets all just have a good time, and actually read the posts.

much love

Monday, December 19, 2005 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger The Raging Paradoxidation said...

Thanks J.
You are pretty good. I actually did think that it was some kind of ad, so sorry I deleted the post.
Hey man, after the holidays are over, let's have a beer or a few.
Later.

Monday, December 19, 2005 4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's wrong with penis enlargement?

Monday, January 30, 2006 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home