Friday, July 13, 2007

The Rapture & Organ Donation

I was listening to a Christian talk radio show the other day on the way into work. The topic was how Christians could help the world [or at least those near them] medically by donating their organs after they die, or some organs that you can live without.

Now, they weren't really talking about the Rapture or anything like that, but the topic of organ donation struck me as kind of funny, given that I know what their theological beliefs are about this alleged event.

I am all for organ donation. I've got it marked "Y" right there on my drivers license. If I were to die some time and my parts were still good, then I would want them to be put to good use by someone who needs them.

On the other hand, I know a man who believes in the current modern view of the coming Rapture of the church and he will not donate his organs because he is afraid that when his body gets raptured it might end up killing whoever has his parts. Because according to that view, at a moment in time God physically calls up those who have followed him. If they are dead and rotted away, then their bodies will magically come back together as a whole. So he envisions those who have had eye/arm/heart/kidney/etc. transplants from parts that came from Christians as one day to be taken from them if their believing Christian gets raptured.

I think that it's a silly notion, but the radio conversation just reminded me of his view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home